By: Lakeisha Dale
Rona (aka Corona-Virus) has forced us all into a new normal. This new normal has us all being our own hair stylists, nail artists and skin therapists. But when left alone too long without guidance, people taking matters into their own hands can go a little too far. So to help avoid having any of you irritate the crap out of your skin, here are my #MELASKINGLOW Tips to keep your skin flourishing while we quarantine and #stayhome.
Melaskin Glow Quarantine Tips:
1. Keep it simple, keep it cute– If you already have a routine, continue to follow it. Don’t start changing it up and adding a bunch of new products all while being under an unexpected amount of stress. That can be a disaster waiting to happen.
2. One at a time– If you do decide to “Treat yo self” with some new skincare, introduce products into your routine one at a time. Give it 1-2 weeks before introducing the next product. That way you can determine whether or not that product works well with your skin and your current routine.
3. Raw skin isn’t NEW skin– Don’t overdo it with the exfoliation, especially if you are experiencing breakouts during this time. Over exfoliating can cause redness, inflammation, peeling and sensitivity. Stick to 1-2 times a week. Make sure you are allowing enough days in between. If you’re experiencing breakouts, stop exfoliating until it clears up. Exfoliating will spread bacteria and cause more breakouts.
4. Treat it, Don’t pick it– If you are experiencing breakouts, use a spot treatment. Keep your routine simple, follow the instructions and use a gentle moisturizer. You want to look for these key ingredients when picking up a acne spot treatment:
- Benzoyl Peroxide
- Retinol (only if its prescribed or OTC Differin Gel)
5. Thirst trap– If you do nothing else, PLEASE, I beg of you, keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Hydration mists, serums, and moisturizers will help to avoid surface dehydration.